Berks County Green Party
Monthly Meeting MinutesClick on the month to see the minutes from that meeting
The October 2009 Minutes submitted by Jessica Ashman:
Minutes of the Berks County Green Party Meeting
The Hard Bean Cafe
6th St. and Penn Ave.
West Reading, PA
October 13, 2009
Present: David Kurzweg, Mercedes Spradley, Shirley Fisher, Matthew Hartzell, Jessica Ashman
Meeting called to order at 7:10 PM.
I. Kempton Sustainable Energy Festival Recap
A. Successful, added 15 new people to our contact lists.
B. Good turn out, more vendors, good music.
C. Made some money for the Green Party of PA.
II. State Meeting
A. Being held Sunday, October 13th, at 11 am at the Comfort Inn, 58 State Rd. 93, West Hazleton, PA.
B. Jessica and Matthew plan on attending.
III. Local Candidates
A. Dave informed the group that former Green, Marakay Rogers, is running for Judge for the Supreme Court as a Libertarian.
B. Also told us about 2 Green candidates in the Lehigh Valley area that are on the ballot.
1. Boksenbaum and Carra-Budsket - running for Supervisor on Lehigh Township's 5 Supervisorary Board.
2. General discussion about local elections in Berks County, no Greens running at this time.
IV. Single Payer Health Care Rally
A. Being held October 20th at 10am-noon in downtown Harrisburg.
B. No one from this group will be able to attend
V. Climate Action Day
A. Being held October 24th in downtown Bethlehem at the Fowler Center on 3rd St. from 1-4pm.
VI. Treasurer's Report
A. Mercedes gave the report.
B. She needs to send Vivek the check from Kempton proceeds, will do this week.
C. Also need to send Steve Baker a check, Dave will look for invoice, but the amount is $86.34.
1. This was for paper materials.
VII. BCGP Facebook Page
A. Jessica brought up the idea for the Berks Green Party to have its own Facebook page on the Internet.
B. Discussion about the pros and cons of doing so.
1. Pros - great outreach, Facebook is popluar and easy, hopeful increase in Green Party membership.
2. Cons - Anyone can join, who are we to know whose motives are what
C. Matt - we would need an administrator.
D. Jessica will attempt to start a page and see how it goes.
VIII. Keystone Progress
A. Organization founded by Michael Morrill, former Green.
B. Discussion of possibly meeting at their Progressive Action Center in future.
C. Could not act as a political party per se, but something similar.
D. Dave came up with the idea to call us "Party Green", similar to the idea of "Drinking Liberally," which is a group of Democrats in Berks County.
E. Jessica will contact Mike to see what we can and can't do among their organization.
IX. Steering Committee News
A. Jessica updated the gruop on Steering Committee News.
B. Oct 19th at 10am is a Ballot Access Hearing being held in the Federal Building in Philadelphia.
1. Important to have big Green presence there.
C. Jessica is on the Fundraising Committee and updated the group on this.
1. It's a newly formed committee consisting of Jessica, Jay Sweeney, Vivek Ananthon, and Skip Medley.
2. Jessica wanted to have another cd made to sell (with proceeds going to the Green Party) of the band Hexbelt's set at the 2007 Convention, unfortunatley sound quality not too good.
3. Eventually wants to make another cd, last Green Party cd is from 2003.
4. Perhaps in the future hold a fundraiser and have Hexbelt play, where the sound quality can be good, and make a cd from that performance.
5. Already got the okay from the band to sell cd.
6. Jay will be distributing a list of past donors for us to call and ask if for donations.
D. Outreach - Steering Committee members are attending other local county meetings as part of the outreach plan.
1.Hillary Kane and Bob Small may possibly come to the Berks meerting in December, Jessica plans to attend the York Meeting in December.
E. 2010 Convention - It's looking like the 2010 State Convention will be held in Allegheney County, Ian Samways is to start looking for a venue.
F. Jay Sweeney is on the ballot as a Green for Falls Township Supervisor in Wyoming County, he has no opponent.
X. Next Meeting
A. Next general monthly meeting will be he held November 10th, at 7pm at the Hard Bean Cafe.
Meeting adjourned at 7:57pm.
VOTERS' CHOICE ACT
Support our PA Green Party Candidates
Copyright 2006 - 2018 Berks County Green Party
Opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Berks County Green Party
FAIR USE NOTICE: Some of the articles and images on this site contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making this material available in an effort to advance the understanding of different issues related to this site. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in Section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use such copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use' you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.