Berks County Green Party
Monthly Meeting MinutesClick on the month to see the minutes from that meeting
The September 2010 Minutes submitted by Jessica Ashman:
Minutes of the Berks Green Party Meeting
September 14, 2010
701 Penn Ave.
West Reading, PA
Present: Jessica Ashman, Dave Kurzweg, Shirley Fisher, Mercedes Spradley
Meeting called to order at 6:36 PM.
I. Kempton Renewable Energy Festival
A. Many volunteers this year.
1. Dave will be there Friday and Saturday, Mercedes will be there Saturday and Sunday, Jessica will set up the table Thursday night, and table Sunday.
2. Other greens, as well as candidates will be there throughout the weekend, including Jay, Juanita, Rex, Skip, and Ed.
B. Green Party booth is #158, located in the Pole Building in the corner.
C. Who's Bringing What
1. Dave and Shirley will bring Berks County brochures. Dave also has a "Join our mailing list" pad.
2. Jessica will bring banner, signs, literature, water bottles, tshirts and other miscellaneous items.
3. Jay Sweeney has ID badges for festival, is mailing one to Jessica ahead of time. Jay is also hoping to mail the newly published Green Stars to Jessica ahead of time, if not, someone will be bringing them on Friday.
D. Proceeds of Sales
1. It was decided that any money generated from selling of items will either go to cover the tabling fee, or should be split up among candidates.
II. Hugh Giordano's Campaign
A. Dave plans to help with Hugh's campaign in October.
B. Currently Hugh is doing a lot of fundraising, in October he will be doing more door-to-door.
C. Hugh has a big backing in Philadelphia, as well as from many Democrats.
D. Jessica volunteered to help also in October.
III. Drinking Liberally
A. Event in Reading where Progressive Democrats meet at the Canal Street Pub.
B. Dave has attended a few of these event recently, all attendees are "progressive democrats."
IV. Ballot Access
A. Dave has been pushing the Reading Eagle and 69 news to cover more about this issue, but was told by the paper that they do not intend to cover it.
B. He is talking to a reporter to write an opinion article on this topic, it may happen.
B. Due to lack of media coverage, sadly, many berks countians do not even know that Mel Packer was a candidate, and is now no longer running due to having signatures challenged.
C. More hope with Berks County TV
1. Has a website, which encourages citizen journalists to write about issues.
2. They will put this topic, as well as many other issues that need to be heard, on their site, unlike the Reading Eagle.
D. Berks Progress Meeting
1. Berks Progress is a county version of Keystone Progress.
2. Dave attended, and was given a 15 minute time period to speak of ballot access issues.
3. Berks Progress will resume meetings after the Election.
V. Berks Peace Picnic
A. Dave attended, there was 50 people in attendance, with half of them being Islamic.
B. The Islams attended this picnic after their 30 day fast.
VI. Which Way Home
A. Independent film being shown at the Goggle Works Oct. 15th, reception at 5:30pm, showing at 6:45.
1. Will be shown for a full week afterwards.
B. Portrays families being detained as a result of immigration issues.
C. Proceeds will go to the I.C.E Berks County Detention, tickets $30 each, $50 for two.
D. Dave hopes to have fliers by the time of the Kempton fest, to help promote this event.
VII. General Discussion
1. Mercedes spoke of the incident that recently happened where 72 immigrants from Mexico were shot and killed for trying to pass the U.S. border legally.
2. It was only brought to the media's attention due to one man's escape from the shooting.
3. Meeting was held in Allentown about handling immigration, and in Hazleton, the mayor wants all illegals out.
B. Legalization Of Marijuana
1. Pros seem to outweigh cons.
Meeting adjourned at 8:15 PM.
VOTERS' CHOICE ACT
Support our PA Green Party Candidates
Copyright 2006 - 2019 Berks County Green Party
Opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Berks County Green Party
FAIR USE NOTICE: Some of the articles and images on this site contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making this material available in an effort to advance the understanding of different issues related to this site. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in Section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use such copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use' you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.