Berks County Green Party
Monthly Meeting MinutesClick on the month to see the minutes from that meeting
The June 2011 Minutes submitted by Jessica Ashman:
Minutes of the Berks Green Party Meeting
Tuesday, June 14, 2011
Good Eatz Cafe
701 Penn Ave.
West, Reading PA
Present: Jessica Ashman, Adam Evans, Greg Hafer, Shirley Fisher
Meeting called to order: 6:40
I. Green Party Berks Brochures
A. Jessica got more brochures made, will distribute to others at the next meeting.
B. Uses - outreach, general info about the party, pass out at tabling events.
II. To Do
A. As Greg and Adam attended the meeting for the first time, Jessica and Shirley gave a report on what the Green Party has accomplished in the past, where they are now, and what plans are for the future.
1. Would eventually like to start a Berks Green monthly newletter, have just been waiting for more members to attend meetings, Adam and Greg seemed interested.
2. Would eventually like to make Berks Green bumper stickers and tee shirts.
a. Need to find out the amount in treasury, the Treasurer and Chair have not come to meetings in months.
b. Greg volunteered to come up with a Berks Green logo, which would be recognized later as strictly for Berks Greens, something that people will be able to identify us by.
3. Jessica's idea to have a compilation cd of local artists, with songs of political context, to use as merchandise at future events.
a. Again, this is something that Shirley and Jessica have held off on, due to low meeting attendance.
b. Greg and Adam expressed interest in helping.
a. Greg and Adam feel that the most important thing to do right now is outreach to gain more meeting attendance.
b. There's a good audience out there, it's just getting to those people, Jessica and Shirley agreed.
A. Jessica was contacted by Mike R., who expressed interest in attending meetings, and is head programmer of Kutztown's college radio.
B. Mike offered to broadcast Green events coming up, candidates running, etc.
C. Greg was a former radio DJ at the station with a political talk show.
1. Says we may be able to have a show via podcasts.
D. Unable to attend the June meeting, Mike R. said he will be able to attend the July meeting.
IV. Change of Meeting Locale
A. If meeting attendance picks up, we may change our meeting locale back to the Goggle Works.
B. This change would be noted on our webpage if it happens.
V. Random Information
A. Jessica informed Greg and Adam of the Berks County Green Facebook page, and encouraged them to join.
B. She also informed them to join the discussion lists, with the state and the county.
1. This would give them access to all emails sent from greens across the state, pertaining to green issues.
C. Jessica expressed the need for someone to volunteer and be the "computer person" for the Berks Greens.
1. Ie: Keeping our facebook page and berks website current and up to date, and posting future green events on the calendar.
VI. General Discussion
A. Politics in General
1. Greg - Democrats are not for democracy, still trying to keep the third parties out.
1. Greg - our voting system needs run off voting, it's a more fair and accurate representation of our nation's votes, we should model ourselves after Germany.
C. Presidential Election
1. Many Obama voters still unhappy with the current state of affairs.
2. Now, more than ever, more people should be looking to third parties for a real solution.
a. Jessica - the biggest to blame. The lack of coverage given to third party candidates and politics is unjust, undemocratic, and mind boggling that they can even get away with it.
E. Voter's Choice Act
1. Jessica and Shirly informed Adam and Greg of the Voter's Choice Act.
2. This would level the playing field for independent and third party candidates, giving the Pennsylvania voters greater freedom of choice on Election Day.
3. This act is still pending before state legislators.
Meeting Adjourned: 7:15
VOTERS' CHOICE ACT
Support our PA Green Party Candidates
Copyright 2006 - 2018 Berks County Green Party
Opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Berks County Green Party
FAIR USE NOTICE: Some of the articles and images on this site contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making this material available in an effort to advance the understanding of different issues related to this site. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in Section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use such copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use' you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.