Berks County Green Party
Monthly Meeting MinutesClick on the month to see the minutes from that meeting
The July 2009 Minutes submitted by Jessica Ashman:
Minutes of the Berks County Green Party Meeting
July 14, 2009
The Hard Bean Cafe
6th. St. and Penn Ave.
West Reading, PA
Present: David Kurzweg, Matthew Hartzell, Jessica Ashman
Meeting Called to order at 7:15 PM.
I. State Meeting
A. Those interested in attending will carpool from Jessica's house. She will send out this message via email to other berks greens.
II. Kempton Energy Festival Sept.18-20
A. Jessica received and passed around the Vendor Booklet she received.
B. Already have a handful of volunteers for this event. Dave advised he will also be able to help.
III. Addendum to Bylaws
A. The three of us decided to overpass this addendum at this point in time.
1. After further exploring the issue of changing a bylaw, there are a lot of technicalities that need to be addressed.
a. May also need to retain a lawyer, which BCGP does not want to spend money on this at this time.
IV. Next BCGP Meeting
A. It was decided among the 3 of us that we will no longer meet until after Kempton Energy Fest which will be October 13th.
1. This was decided due to very low attendance for the past several months.
2. Hope to regain more contacts after Kempton, we will continue to meet every second Tuesday of the month at the Hard Bean Cafe at 7pm, thereafter.
3. Randi Peters (BCGP Chair) will be unable to attend meetings for a while, due to outside circumstances.
V. Treasurer Report
A. Dave gave the treasurer's report
VI. National Issues
A. Discussion of Cynthia McKinney's 3 day capture in the Meditteranean Sea.
1. This event had very little media coverage.
2. A Press Conference was held in New York addressing this.
B. Obama passed a bill for further mountaintop removal in West Virginia.
1. The effects of this are devastating, only thing to come out of it is profits for those involved in the act.
C. National Green Party Convention
1. It is being considered to combine forces with Libertarian and Constitution Parties and have a joint convention this year, to be called the "The Third Party Convention."
2. Each party would meet separatley, but come together on issues that pertain to all third parties, such as ballot access, and lack of media coverage.
3. Everyone in attendance liked this idea for a variety of reasons; convention costs could be cheaper, possible higher media attention, more people working togeher on common goals, and historical significance.
VII. Other topics Discussed
A. Dave attended a Health Care Forum
1. Said it was well attended, and hopes to see real change happen, but still doesn't know it it can be accomplished anytime soon.
B. The need for better public transportation in Reading, as well as throughout the state.
1. The benefits are obvious - new job opportunities, less pollution on the roads, less accidents, etc.
VIII. Next General Meeting
A. October 18, 2009, at the same location and time.
Meeting adjourned at 7:49 pm.
VOTERS' CHOICE ACT
Support our PA Green Party Candidates
Copyright 2006 - 2018 Berks County Green Party
Opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Berks County Green Party
FAIR USE NOTICE: Some of the articles and images on this site contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making this material available in an effort to advance the understanding of different issues related to this site. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in Section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use such copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use' you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.